Will You Be(auty) My Valentine?
When you embark on your own business or start a company it should be accompanied by a manual (much like when a baby is born) that outlines EVERYTHING about running a business and in particular it should come with a disclaimer that says: "The highs will be very high and the lows will be very low." Alas, one does not receive any such warning with a business or with a baby! I'm speaking from experience, because I ran my handbag company for 7 years and boy, were the highs really high (being published in Instyle Magazine & having Kerry Washington carry my purses) and the lows reaaaally low (a boutique placing an order for $10K and then canceling it ... without informing me on time). Therefore, I have oodles and oodles of respect for small business owners and especially supportive of those started by women entrepreneurs. For Valentine's Day, I reached out to five of my ABSOLUTE favorite Bay Area businesses that are very dear to me. Not only because I know most of these gals personally and have witnessed them evolve their brands tirelessly but because they all happen to carry products or provide services of such an elevated and superior nature that I am delighted to purchase from them repeatedly and confidently recommend to all of you. All five of them have also very graciously agreed to offer a 25% discount (details of each discount follow) to all my readers. Yayyyyyyyy - imagine a dancing emoji which I'm in the process of learning to insert while on my laptop!
1. Road Twenty-Two - The SOFTEST T-shirts EVER. Mic drop ... kinda, but I have more to say, so .. A definite wardrobe staple. Get better with every single wash. Made in the USA. I own at least 10. Planning on buying many more for many more years to come. Read more about the Road Twenty-Two philosophy here but Alice and Fif, the founders, beautifully believe in giving second chances and as such employ women who were formerly incarcerated and are on the road to a better life. Promo Code VDAY25 - 25% Off Entire Website On Women's and Men's Clothing. ONLINE. Feb 8 - Feb 14/15 (till Midnight) Can be used Multiple Times
2. TheBalm Cosmetics - I met Marissa Shipman, founder of TheBalm at a friend's house several years ago. I had just started Isly Handbags and she undoubtedly (and unbeknownst to her:) became one of my biggest sources of inspiration. I'm literally blown away by how often TheBalm introduces new, innovative, well-priced and consistently creative products with the most whimsical & adorable packaging. Some of my favorites these days are: a 6 matte and 6 shimmer eyeshadow palette very cheekily named "Meet Matt(e) Shmaker", a peachy-pink-looks-perfect-on-all-skin-tones blush and eyeshadow in-one, very appropriately labelled "Hot Mama" (yes, that is how I view myself too) and last but not least "Mary-Lou Manizer", a honey-hued shimmery highlighter and eyeshadow that NO ONE should EVER run out of (I keep an extra one in my make-up drawer). Promo Code VDAY25 - 25% Off Entire Website. ONLINE. All Day on Feb 14th only - One Use Per Customer
3. Dilara Saatci Jewelry - The chicest & sweetest girl wearing the most fashionable clothes, walking and talking at 100 mph and carrying bags and bags and bags of diamonds is by far my favorite kind of gal. I have personally seen the blood, sweat and tears Dilara has invested in her jewelry business and cannot tell you how proud I am of her and her well deserved success. The unique aspect of her business model is that she carries divine pieces that range not only in prices but in styles as well - in a sense, where they are perfect for me, of course, but also as a wedding or graduation gift or in this case as a sweet Valentine's Day surprise. Her jewelry seems to have this magical draw (highly attributable to her bubbly personality) where one has a very difficult time saying no to her in the face of those glittering pieces. Promo Code VDAY25 - 25% Off Entire Website. ONLINE. Feb 8 - Feb 14. Can be used Multiple Times.
4. Heidi Says San Francisco - My connection to Heidi Says is special - really special! Heidi opened her charming Pacific Heights boutique in 2000 and has since thoughtfully curated emerging and established designers. To say that it's been an 18 year lesson in fashion for me is a definite understatement! It is, incidentally, also the place where I bought my first Tibi skirt (when I didn't know who or what Tibi was) and many Tibis and other designers later where I launched my very own handbag business in November of 2011 and thus (very, very, very proudly) became one of the designers that were carried by HeidiSays. Promo Code VDAY25 - 25% Off on all Cosabella thongs IN-STORE ONLY at Heidi Says, 2426 Fillmore Street, San Francisco, CA 94115. Feb 8 - Feb 14. One Time Purchase Only.
5. Skin Spirit - Skincare Clinic & Spa - The fact that SkinSpirit Medical Spa is just a few blocks from my place is certainly a compelling reason to go there ... often. However, it isn't the geographic proximity that draws me to this state-of-the-art yet extraordinarily welcoming and luxurious spa. I believe, this particular location on Sacramento Street is their 8th location (4 more in and around The Bay Area and 3 in Washington State). Needless to say, Co-founder and CEO, Lynn Heublein, has succeeded in creating what I describe best as a marriage between science, knowledge, expertise, warmth, and professionalism all "knotted' together in a very calming ambience and environment. Mention my name (Sobia) and get 25% Off all Products AND 15% Off of your first treatment IN-STORE ONLY at Skin Spirit, 3325 Sacramento Street, for the entire month of February.
A VERY, VERY HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY TO YOU AND TO YOUR LOVED ONES. AND AS ALWAYS I CANNOT THANK YOU ENOUGH FOR COMING HERE EVERY WEEK TO READ MY POSTS. LOVE YOU ALL! XOXOXOXOXO